Tuesday 25 January 2011

2 + 1 = 7 … Try again

Well I've been through 5 months of 10 already and they say time flies; it must be in a rocket.

The secondary students loved it when I came and ate with them (they had a good chuckle at the muzungu eating ugali); they have 'stiff porridge' called ugali, with 1 cup of beans for lunch and again for dinner. The ugali comes in blocks - looks just like a white brick, literally. You break a bit off and mould / ply it in your hands and then scoop up a couple of beans. It's not awful but twice a day every day bar one or two meals when they have rice (instead of ugali) it's very… well repetitious.

Have I already mentioned that we now have a working freezer in our house! It takes a fair amount of time to freeze and runs on Kerosene, but it's really nice to be able to have a cold drink, really nice. Also I have learnt how to cook fish Tanzanian style as well as beans; they're both staples in this area. You have to cook the beans for about 3 hours not 'fast food' you should appreciate that can of baked beans a little more next time you have beans on toast.

So I have taught a couple of maths lessons to the LVCA (Lake Victoria Christian Academy) 1st graders, the new teacher has been ill and not very consistent so I've taken a couple of their maths lessons after the PE. You know the deal 2 + 1 = and 3 + 1 = . I'm glad God gave me fingers it certainly makes demonstrating the sums easy, even across a language barrier.

I have been meeting regularly with my language helper. Catch and throw have been useful phrases to learn for PE, as well as 'remind me of your name' especially for the couple of hundred secondary school students.

Oh I forgot to tell you on Christmas day we killed a 6 ft black mamba.

No comments:

Post a Comment